Harry Campbell Jr.

 

COLUMBUS, Ga. The Rev. Harry Grant Campbell Jr., lieutenant colonel (ret.) in the U.S. Army, 82, of Columbus, Ga., died Sunday afternoon, May 14, 2000, at The Columbia Doctor's Hospital in Columbus, Ga.

He was born on March 27, 1918, in Cooperstown, the son of the late Harry Grant Campbell Sr. and Pearl (Vroman) Campbell.

Father Campbell was baptized and confirmed in Christ Episcopal Church in Cooperstown and graduated from Cooperstown High School with the Class of 1937. He then enrolled at Hartwick College, Oneonta, the oldest divinity college in the United States, established in 1719. Upon graduation he transferred to Yale University and enrolled in Berkeley Divinity School. Upon graduation in 1943, he received his bachelor's of science degree and STB (bachelor of sacred theology) degree.

His foundation for the priesthood now established, Father Campbell was made a deacon of the Episcopal Church at All Saints Cathedral on St. Andrew's Day in 1943; and was ordained a priest at All Saints Cathedral on June 4, 1944, in Albany. In later years he was made an honorary canon with the Albany Episcopal Diocese.

Furthering his ministry, he was curate at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Albany from 1944-1945. He then became rector of St. James Church in Lake George and priest-in-charge at St. Mary in Luzerne from 1945-1946. This was a dual role for a priest, and at St. James, the flamboyant Mayor LaGuardia of New York City was a frequent visitor. Subsequently, he became priest-in-charge at St. Paul's Church in Salem from 1946-1948, and was rector of St. Luke's Church in Cambridge from 1946-1950. While at St. Luke's, he taught classes on religion at Bennington College for Girls in Bennington, Vt., where he became a friend of Anna Mae Roberts, better known as "Grandma Moses."

Answering a call to the military, Father Campbell volunteered for the Chaplains' Corps in 1949, and was inducted into the United States Army as a first lieutenant at Fort Dix, N.J., in 1950. He was then sent to the Republic of Korea where he became a combat chaplain assigned to the 7th Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division.

Reassigned to the First Army Headquarters, Fort Jay, N.Y., he was the post chaplain from 1951-1956. This began an association with high ranking military officers, with whom he had lasting relationships at Fort Benning and later in Columbus. In his religious capacity, he became an advisor and counselor to many soldiers and their families.

Returning to Korea, he became the 31st Regimental chaplain for the 7th Infantry Division from 1956-1957. During this tour of duty he established an orphanage for Korean children, innocent victims of this war. Transferred to Fort Benning, he became post chaplain and officer and priest-in-charge of the St. Michael's Chapel (the Airborne Chapel) from 1957-1960. During this period he also helped establish St. Thomas Episcopal Church and was one of the first priests to conduct services there. He was then sent to Germany, serving as chaplain, first for the 28th Signal Brigade at Boerglingen from 1960-1962, and then for the 9th Hospital Group in Heidelburg from July 1963-May 1965.

Reassigned to "The States," Chaplain Campbell was post chaplain, CONARC Headquarters, Fort Monroe, Va., from May 1965-1967. He then volunteered for Vietnam and served as staff chaplain, 20th Engineer Brigade from Dec. 30, 1967, to Jan. 1, 1969, during the Tet Offensive. Returning to the United States, he became staff chaplain, 6th Army Air Defense Command from January 1969 to August 1971. Upon completion of this tour of duty he retired as a lieutenant colonel at Presidio of San Francisco. He was then interim rector of Christ Church in Sauselito for three years and associate rector for two years.

In January 1975, he moved to Clearwater, Fla., and became associated with St. John's Episcopal Church, serving there until coming to Columbus in 1980, to be with his extended family. This began his involvement at Trinity Episcopal Church.

Chaplain Campbell attended and graduated from numerous Army Schools, including Chaplains' Basic Course in 1951, Chaplains' Advanced Course in 1957, Chaplains' Career Course in 1961, Senior Orientation Course, Chaplains' School, Fort Hamilton, N.Y. in 1969, and Counseling Instruction (Pastoral Institute of Los Angeles) in 1970.

His decorations and awards include; Legion of Merit, one Oak Leaf Cluster; Bronze Star for Valor, one Oak Leaf Cluster; Korean Service Medal; United States Service Medal; Greek Army Commendation Medal (1952); National Defense Service Medal; Army Commendation Medal, one Oak Leaf Cluster; National Defense Service Medal, one Oak Leaf Cluster; Vietnam Service Medal; Vietnam Campaign Medal with "60" devise and Meritorious Unit Commendation.

Father Campbell was also involved in all facets of community life in Columbus. He joined the Kiwanis Club in 1981, was very active with the Muscogee County Literacy Program as a recruiter for tutors, was chairman of Kiwanis Club Community Activities Committee from 1985-1986, was a member of the Columbus Country Club, the Bradley Museum, the Historical Association of Columbus, the Springer Theater Group, the Columbus Symphony and the Yale Club of Georgia.

Father Campbell is survived by two sisters, Aline C. Heller of Cooperstown and Thelma C. Ryan or Pensacola, Fla.; one aunt, Margaret Campbell Church of Cooperstown; three nieces, Sandra H. Thorne of Toddsville, Marion H. Terpening of Warren, Ohio, and Nancy Ryan Kittle of' Pensacola, Fla.; one nephew, Harry James Ryan of Ganesvoort; as well as his extended family, Stacy and Bob Poydasheff of Columbus, Ga., their children and grandchildren, who always referred to him as "Pop-Pop." He will be greatly missed.

A funeral service will be held at 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 17, 2000, at Trinity Episcopal Church in Columbus, Ga., with Fr. Tom Jones, Fr. W. McSwain and Fr. Vasile Bitere, officiating.

Burial with full military honors will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, May 25, 2000, in the Hartwick Seminary Cemetery, with the Rev. David Ball, retired bishop of the Albany Episcopal Diocese, officiating.

In lieu of flowers, expressions of sympathy in the form of memorial gifts may be made to a charity of one's choice in memory of Father Campbell.

Local arrangements are under the direction of the Connell, Dow & Deysenroth Funeral Home in Cooperstown.